Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jerry Jones: 'Its the best thing for the Cowboys to have Wade as our head coach'

Tim MacMahon/Blogger

It wasn't long after the commercial portion of Built Ford Tough Dallas Cowboys Training Camp-opening press conference ended that Jerry Jones expressed the utmost confidence in his head coach.

"I want to emphasize this," Jerry said. "I'm so solid in my thinking that by having Wade Phillips as our head coach and what he brings with his experience and what he brings to the table with his experience as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, with his full perspective of his first year as head coach and his second year as head coach, I like that mix. I like that combination of not only his skill but what he brings to the table, and I like what our players see when he steps up there as our head coach."

Jerry vowed the week of the season finale that Phillips would return this season. He stuck to his guns after the Philly Flop, perhaps the most humiliating loss in franchise history, even after Mike Shanahan surprisingly hit the open market.

"There was no wavering because I know it's the best thing for the Dallas Cowboys to have Wade Phillips as our head coach," Jerry said.

That confidence isn't reflected in Phillips' contract status, however. The Cowboys have not picked up an option to extend his deal for the 2010 season. When asked about that, Jerry launch into a soliloquy that boiled down to saying it's none of our business, but Phillips would be back if the Cowboys are successful.

"I don't worry about my job," Phillips said. "I worry about the job I'm doing."