Friday, November 11, 2005

The Definition Of A Dallas Cowboy Fan

I am a Fan,

My job description is one sentence long: I root for the team no matter what.

Even when my head tells me they might lose, my heart tells me that my head is obviously out to lunch--my team can win every time they suit up.

When my team plays, I pull for them. Even when they don't play, I pull for them.
I'm not a blind fool, though. I read the news and learn as much as I can about the team, the players, the coaching staff, the management. But nothing I learn will dissuade me from my ultimate appointed task. As soon as I stop believing in my team, I can no longer call myself a fan.
If they lose, my job is to help buck them up. I am there for the team at the game and between games.

When they win, no one is more filled with exultant joy than me. The sun shines, the birds sing, and all is right in the world.

I can criticize my team, but fundamentally I believe every week, every game, every minute will be better than the last. If I criticize them and don't believe they can or will improve, I am not a fan--I am a critic.

I can study them, dissect their every move, decry the owner, wish they were doing something different; indeed, I can even derive a great deal of pleasure out of all of the above. All of that is a part of my life as a fan. But as soon as I give up hope, I am not a fan.

I am keeper of the legacy of the team, especially in this era of salary caps and multimillion-dollar athletes. If they are playing well now, it only adds to the luster of the legacy. If they are playing poorly, I will harken back to that legacy to remind them--and myself--whence they came.
"Fan" comes from "fanatic," which in turn comes from the Latin fanum, meaning "temple." This shows that the ancients recognize that the thing that defines the fan is, simply, faith.

If this year is a bust, there's always next year. If this game is a bust, there's always next week. If the first half is a bust, there's always the second half. If this series is a bust, just wait 'til we get the ball again. We will do better.

When this year is a success, next year will be even better. When we win this week, look for that winning streak to continue. When we beat you in the first half, we're gonna shut you out the second. When we get a touchdown after this drive, we'll get another the next drive, too. We own you, Opponent--and we always will.

I am a Fan.

GO COWBOYS!