Monday, December 19, 2005

Parcells Not Devastated by Blowout Loss

By JAIME ARON AP Sports Writer

TIDBIT: IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Bill Parcells an optimist? It almost seemed that way Monday when Parcells put his day-after spin on perhaps the ugliest loss in his three-year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys, a 35-7 whipping by the rival Washington Redskins that eliminated them from the NFC East race and put them on the outer fringe of the wild-card chase.

"I'm not feeling helpless," Parcells said. "I know today we're basing everything on what you saw yesterday and I won't do that. I can only look at that as something that was disappointing and unanticipated. I don't think anyone in this room could have thought that was going to happen, as well.

"We have been a little erratic and we've been a little up and down, but we haven't been in one of those (blowout) games. So I think you look at that and say, `Hey, well, that's not really what we are.' And I don't think it is. I think we can do better."