Sunday, May 21, 2006

Henson hopes European internship leads to full-time job in Dallas

May 18, 2006
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The best thing about quarterback Drew Henson is not that his sprained left knee is OK or that he expects to play an NFL Europe game this weekend. It's that he's playing well enough this spring to question whether he can't be the quarterback of the future for the Dallas Cowboys.

I know, there's another Drew who has a lock on the position. But Henson is only 26, and he never has been able to demonstrate what he can do ... until now.

This weekend's start will be Henson's ninth of the season, and that's big. The last time he started that many games was 2000, when he was a quarterback at Michigan.

He was successful then, and he's successful now -- throwing nine touchdowns, three interceptions and winning five of his eight starts with the Rhein Fire. Maybe that means nothing to you, but it should to Dallas.

That's because Drew Henson has shown signs of becoming the quarterback the Cowboys imagined when they traded a third-round draft choice to Houston for him two years ago. And he has shown signs of becoming the quarterback who could figure into the future of the Cowboys ... if someone in that organization would just give the guy a look.

Let's face it, at some point Dallas has to get a read on him. And with Drew Bledsoe anchoring the position and Henson nailed to the bench, NFL Europe might be Henson's best -- and maybe only -- chance to prove he belongs in the NFL.

"The thing I needed," he said, "was in-game repetition. That in itself has been a positive. I knew if I wanted to make this my career I had to put everything into it and enjoy myself, even though it's a short offseason.

"I wanted to enjoy this experience and try to get better with each day. I went into it with that mindset, and I think that's the one to have. And I can feel myself benefiting. I feel I've improved myself since the NFL season ended."

The numbers show that Henson is the league's third-rated quarterback, with the third most touchdown passes and the lowest interception rate. All that is good, but it's not those figures that are important; it's that Henson is gaining invaluable experience -- the kind he never could in the NFL.

With 20 of the league's 32 teams forced to start two or more quarterbacks last season, Henson's development is important to a team that could make a run at the top of the NFC East this year. But here's his problem: How do you develop into a reliable quarterback when your head coach won't play you?

A year ago Henson didn't take a snap. In fact, he wasn't active for any of the Cowboys' 16 games. Keyshawn Johnson threw a pass in 2005; Drew Henson did not. His only exposure with the Cowboys was two games in 2004 -- including one where he started and was gone by halftime.

That's why Drew Henson is in Europe.

"I wanted to show the people at home with my club that I can do the things necessary to elevate the ballclub," he said. "My improvement as a player is definitely going to help me when I go back."

It might. It has with others. There have been 27 NFL Europe quarterbacks to start in the NFL, with Kurt Warner the most decorated. All he did was parlay a background in the Arena League and NFL Europe into two MVP awards and one Super Bowl victory. Now, he and Brad Johnson and Jon Kitna are NFL Europe alums set to start this season, and -- who knows? -- maybe Drew Henson joins the parade one day.

"Those guys were in situations where they needed to get games in, and they made the most of the opportunities they had," said Henson. "There is a precedent there. I'm going through this hoping it will turn out like that."

Henson's story is as intriguing as it has been slow to unfold. A star quarterback at Michigan, he quit football after his junior season for a career in professional baseball -- with the New York Yankees his destination. But things never worked out as they were supposed to, and Henson gave up baseball in 2004 to switch sports.

That's when he joined Dallas where some had him ticketed as the next Troy Aikman. Only Aikman played; Henson has not.

"I didn't expect it to be easy, and it isn't easy, even for a top draft pick," said Henson. "There are ups and downs, and the guys who figure it out are the ones who are successful. Shoot, I just turned 26 ... my athletic past has gotten an early start.

"It's a path I chose, and, looking back on it, I don't think I would've done anything differently. It's an interesting story, and it will be interesting to see how it turns out."

The Cowboys will have something to say about that. For the moment, Henson has done his part. He's gone where Dallas wanted him to go. He played. And he succeeded. Now we find out if he has a future with the Cowboys.

"There is no doubt I can play (in the NFL)," said Henson. "There never was. It was just a matter of getting on a playing field and to start the next part of actually playing. I'm excited to go back, rest up and work out in Dallas to get ready for training camp.

"I believe I have a future there. I certainly hope so. I was in a position coming out where I didn't have to sign with a specific team, and I chose Dallas. It's a great franchise and a great city. I certainly want to make it work there."