Friday, June 23, 2006

Chris Canty on Talkin Cowboys (Transcript)

DC.com: Chris Canty on Talkin Cowboys (Transcript)
WG Note: I missed a question w/Henry talking about Canty and Canty talking about benefits of playing in this defense. But this is the bulk of it. You can listen to it on DC.COM

Sham gives background on Canty

Sham
What was your mental approach to last year? How different do you feel going into this year?

Canty
A year ago this time, I couldn't work out, I was kinda at the facility watching tape, watching game film. Trying to understand how to do my job at the professional level. I really knew alot of the plays. I played for Al (Groh) in college and it was the same system.

(Gave a lil background on Groh coaching under Parcells)

Just getting past medical circumstances...pause... I knew I could play football, but was my knee going to hold up. You know. That was the biggest thing. I knew my eye was going to be fine. But was my knee going to hold up in training camp and over a 20 weeks of an NFL season.

They took it really slow in the beginning; just to see where I was at physically. But, once they threw me in the fire, kinda got a few plays under my belt. I said, "Hey, this is football. This is what I do." I got more comfortable as the weeks passed. And I was able to execute my assignments.

I think the biggest adjustment from the college to the professional level, for me, was learning how to execute my job against bigger, faster, and stronger opponents. So I think that was my biggest adjustment LAST YEAR.

This year I'm 20 lbs heavier. I'm stronger. I feel great. I think I'm more athletic than I've ever been. And it's just been a real treat for me to finally be healthy and to be going into training camp in a positive frame of mind with the camerarderie (sp?) of my teammates and looking forward to building up to that championship caliber team.

Question:
So you're 20 lbs heavier now. What are you weighing now?

Canty
I'm 305.

Question:
305. Is that your reporting weight, too?

Canty
Nooo. My reporting weight is 300.

(a bunch of laughing)

Sham

Question:
Henry asked about working w/Canty and the rest of DL

Henry
(Missed his response)

Sham
Question: Can you tell the difference in Canty in Mini-camp

Henry (only got a part of it, cuz I was moving around)
Oh yeah. Cuz usually you have to hold. (Motions as to how Canty stands over him) I could definitely tell how big he's gotten and the kinda impact he's gonna make on the field for us.

Jones
Talks about Canty's ability to play in both 3-4 and 4-3

Canty
Basically talked up the defense, the players in it. Mentioned everyone on the DL except Fergie, I think. And just said how good it was gonna be.