Thursday, June 22, 2006

Left tackle position is Flozell's to lose

By Andy Targovnik on June 22, 2006

Bill Parcells has made it clear. If Flozell Adams gets into shape, the left tackle job is his. If he doesn't, anything goes.

Adams is returning from a torn ACL he suffered against the New York Giants last October which prematurely ended his 2005 season. While Adams has given a good effort rehabilitating his knee and getting back into football shape, Parcells wants more.

"Flozell has worked very hard to recover but he's overweight and rusty" said Parcells. "I don't think there's anyone capable of competing with him if he can get himself in top shape. I want him to get his weight down before July 1. He still has a lot of work to do."

When asked if his absence from the Dallas Cowboys would motivate Adams to perform better, Parcells was philosophical: "I think a lot of times the perspective of the game changes than what you had before and that does make it a more valuable thing to you; and you realize there are things that maybe you haven't accomplished that you want to accomplish."

Overall, Parcells is happy with the progress of his offensive tackles. "I think we're better off at the tackle position than we were at this time last year, but regardless of that, we need him (Adams) to play well. We need him to be what he was."

And what if Adams isn't?

"I have a couple of young linemen and hopefully we'll develop them." Parcells noted. "I also have three guys at right tackle. I'll move one of them (to left tackle) if I have to."

Parcells doesn't make idle threats so my suggestion to Adams: Get your butt into shape - pronto!