Saturday, June 17, 2006

Parcells scoffs lofty Superbowl predictions

FOXSports
Team Report: Inside Slant

The Cowboys, thanks to the addition of Terrell Owens, are feeling pretty good about their Super Bowl chances following their first full squad minicamp.

Running back Julius Jones. Safety Roy Williams. Quarterback Drew Bledsoe. Safety Keith Davis. And of course Owens.
All openly said the Cowboys have the makings of a Super Bowl team.

"Well, that's the idea," Bledsoe said. "That's the goal and that's what we're working for. That's what we're set up to do. I'm not going to stand here and make bold predictions for you, but I think with the talent we have, if we stay healthy, we can complete with anybody."

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells scoffs at such lofty predictions.

Pointing to the Cowboys' tough schedule and tough NFC East division, he says nothing will come easy in 2006.

"I thought the division would be very competitive and everybody would be in contention," Parcells said. "Out of conference I feel like we're playing other strong divisions as well with the NFC south having a couple of playoff teams and potential. And the AFC with Indianapolis and Jacksonville.

"I don't think we're going to have much breathing room and we're going to have to play very well. And we're going to have to win some games on the road. But I think all of our division teams are pretty much in the same boat. I think it's well balanced and it's going to be a tough road and whoever comes out on top is going to earn it."

Parcells admits he has heard the Super Bowl talk and has addressed it with his players.

"I'll tell you what I told them," Parcells said. "I tell them, put it on tape and let the fans, and your opponents and the media and everybody that is watching see it. Let's not talk about it. Too much talking in pro football. So put it on tape and let everybody see it. So that's what I tell them about that. That is very honest. I told them a day ago that put it on tape. Let me see it. Time to show it. That's what I really do think about that."