Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Q&A with Randy White

Matthew Girard
Jacksonville Progress

White, a Super Bowl XII co-MVP in 1978, was on hand to meet with fans and sign autographs. The nine-time NFL Pro Bowl selection signed autographs for an hour.

The Progress sat down with White during his appearance and talked about retirement, his hair turning gray, and giving Terrell Owens a chance.

Q: How has retirement been treating you?

A: “Retirement has been wonderful. Been busy and enjoying something that I like to do. I like fishing, I make custom knives, doing some personal appearances, involved in some different restaurants, own part of a phone company called ‘Randy White Telecommunications,’ so I stay pretty busy.”

Q: What is it like for you to go out and meet Dallas Cowboy fans?

A: “It’s a lot of fun, especially to come to a town like Jacksonville, where people don’t get to see live Dallas Cowboy football players. It amazes me to see people that used to follow the Cowboys when I played, and they bring in pictures of when I didn’t have any gray hair, so it’s neat.”

Q: How is the NFL different from when you played?

A: “It’s still football. Salaries are a lot higher and I think the personality of the game has changed a little bit as far as the players and the way they look at the game. It seems to me that they look at it as more of a business. When I played, it was more of a game. Football is still football.”

Q: Is Terrell Owens going to be a good acquisition for the Cowboys?

A: “I think he will bring a dimension to that team that they have not had for a long time. Hopefully, he’ll be able to play football and not become a distraction to the team.I say give the guy a chance and see what he does.”