Thursday, September 21, 2006

Bradie James discusses new deal

by Tom Orsborn
San Antonio Express-News

IRVING - Cowboys linebacker Bradie James said he can rest easy and concentrate on just playing the game after receiving a five-year, $20 million contract extension Tuesday.

"I really wanted to get this deal done," James said. "It's hard enough playing in this league, but when you throw in all these X-factors going on, it can really get you down. But now, it's all behind me. I can just go out and make plays and not worry about anything else."

James, 25, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

"I didn't really want to hit the open market," he said. "I feel like I'm now establishing myself as a player in this league. Dallas is my home. I've got family here in Dallas and family in Louisiana. I really wanted to stay here so my
family could see me play."

The LSU alumn received an $8 million signing bonus. He led the Cowboys in tackles last season with 109.