Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cowboys Give Bradie James Five-Year Extension

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys linebacker Bradie James has faced a common dilemma many free-agents-to-be experience in the final year of their contract:

"I never really wanted to leave, but at the same time, I didn't want to play for pennies, either."

But the Cowboys made sure Tuesday that James won't have to do either, at least not for another six years.

The Cowboys gave the inside linebacker a five-year extension worth $20 million and an $8 million signing bonus to go along with the $1.5 million he was already scheduled to earn this year.

But after signing the richest contract of his life, one that ultimately will make him financially set for the rest of his career, what did James do?
"Man, I went to sleep," said James, who somehow managed to doze off despite the numerous phone calls. "From the time I signed about two hours ago, I would say about 45 calls."

But James didn't seem to have a problem with the extra attention.
"No, it's great. I'm really just so excited right now," he said. "And really, part of the reason I had to sleep is that I just feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

James is the third player the Cowboys have signed to a multi-year extension in the last two months. Tight end Jason Witten signed a new seven-year, $29 million deal just before training camp in late July and safety Roy Williams signed a four-year extension that included an $11.1 million signing bonus in the first week of camp.

The Cowboys also added another year to backup quarterback Tony Romo's deal at the end of preseason, giving him a $2 million signing bonus and ensuring he sticks around through the 2007 season.

But as far as long-term commitments, the Cowboys have made it clear James was next the priority after signing Witten and Williams.

"We've been negotiating for a while," James said. "Right after Roy got his deal done in training camp, that's when it really started happening. It's been hard dealing with it, but I guess the end result is great.

"The Jones family really stepped up and took care of me. I mean, here I am. Looks like I'll be around for a while."

After spending his first two years as a backup and special teams player, James came into his own last year and started at inside linebacker in the new 3-4 defense. James led the team with 109 stops and accepted more of a leadership role after linebacker Dat Nguyen suffered a neck injury that ultimately led to his retirement this past off-season.

James, a fourth-round pick from LSU in 2003, is now one of the Cowboys' veteran defensive leaders. Through two games, he ranks second on the defense with 12 tackles, recording six in each game. James also had an interception last Sunday against the Redskins that was negated because of a pre-snap penalty on Washington.

But James said he only expects his play to improve.

While some players admit there's more pressure to prove their worth after signing a big deal, James said he felt more weight having to play without a new deal in place.

"I guess it's a little bit of both," James said. "But for me personally, I just felt like there was more pressure lingering over my head. I really wanted to get this deal done. It's hard enough playing in this league, but when you throw in all these X-factors going on, it can really get you down. But now, it's all behind me. I can just go out and make plays and not worry about anything else."

James certainly doesn't have to worry about playing anywhere else, which he said would've been a "last resort" had the two sides not agreed on a deal.

"I didn't really want to hit the open market. I feel like I'm now establishing myself as a player in this league," James said. "But Dallas is my home. I've got family here in Dallas and family in Louisiana. I really wanted to stay here so my family could see me play.

"I'm here in Dallas now for a while, and I'm just excited about playing here and taking my game to the next level."

That next level would undoubtedly be among the NFL's elite linebackers.

James said he had to be "realistic" during the negotiations and not compare himself to more established players at his position.
That, he said, he learned from Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells.

"Bill always says, 'Look in the mirror and know what you are,'" James said.

"So I didn't go out there and try to put myself in the category of a Joey Porter or someone like that. I had to be realistic on this thing. We tried to get guys in similar positions to myself - guys who have not been to a Pro Bowl but have that potential. Really, (we were) looking at the up-and-coming guys are proving they can play."

James said his situation was similar to players such as Marcus Washington, Antonio Pierce and Kendrell Bell. But yet, James said there still is a big difference between those three and himself.
"Those guys all had to leave to get paid," he said. "So I'm just really excited about it. The key thing is that I get to stay here in Dallas and I get a fair deal in the end."