Sunday, December 16, 2007

Don't cheat for success; hard work the only way

By Terrell Owens
Special to the Star-Telegram

After hearing about the Mitchell Report, I want to start by saying to the youth that using steroids to gain a competitive advantage is cheating and, even worse, steroids will kill you.

If you are really looking for an edge in sports, hard work is the only way to go. Put the time in at the gym and on the track. You can even do it the way I do it, with the Terrell Owens Bodylastics system.

It will enable you to increase your speed and strength, and you will not have to look elsewhere to gain an advantage.

I have always been a hard worker. Not once have I ever thought about using steroids. There is no place in sports for it and I lose respect for those athletes in all sports who have used it to win.

That's my take on the whole steroids situation.

Let's talk football.

The Detroit Lions last week came out with a game plan that was very tough for us and slowed us down enough to give our fans a scare. I say that because at no point in the game did my teammates and I think we were going to lose.

Through all the double and triple teams that I got, we still find a way to move the ball down the field. When our opponent closes one door on us, we open two. That is the way of a winner.

We find a way to win with all means necessary and within the rules of the game.

That game reminded me of our Buffalo game this year. There was adversity at the end of the game, but nothing we couldn't overcome. Those are the type of games that fit the statement, "What does not kill you only makes you stronger."

It shows in our confidence while we are playing and on the sideline. That is something coach Phillips instilled in us during training camp.

I knew we had it in us, and I believe our team felt it during that Buffalo game earlier this year. That experience helped us in the Detroit game and it will help us down the road.

We are just getting stronger and stronger and starting to realize that we are a really good team. Every player is bringing something to the table and we're going to eat.

Today, my old team, the Philadelphia Eagles, is in town and everyone will be watching closely to see if there is going to be some drama.

There will be no drama. It's just another game to me, and I will treat it that way, with the same emotion, focus and drive that I have going into every game.

I have one goal for this team and every team we play is a threat to us reaching our goal.

We must eliminate all threats.