Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ESPN Mosley: Newman Update

Published by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

OXNARD, Calif. -- Top o' the morning to ya if you're on the West Coast like me. I've been getting up at 5:30 a.m. out of respect for my East Coast readers, but last night I bumped into a prominent member of the Jerry Jones family at dinner and things lasted about four hours longer than I'd planned. But more on that later.

Late last night, a member of the Cowboys' medical staff told me that cornerback Terence Newman's groin strain wasn't anything to worry about. In the past, Newman has begged to return to the field after minor injuries in training camp, but I'm told that he will be held out of Tuesday afternoon's practice and perhaps until Thursday.

It also means that Adam Jones will receive a lot of reps with the first team. The coaches would also like to see how rookie Mike Jenkins looks with the first defense. As I pointed out two days ago, he's struggled so far in camp. He's quick enough to make up for a lot of mistakes, but I've watched wide receiver Miles Austin go up and take balls away from him on three different occasions.

Back with a T.O. exclusive in just a few moments.