Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DMN Blog: Tony Romo talks!!!

by Tim MacMahon

Tony Romo took a break from the media last week. He only spoke to reporters after the game, and he had to have his arm twisted a little before doing that.

So today was the first time this season that Romo talked to the media in the Valley Ranch locker room. I spent most of that portion of the access session chatting with tight ends, but a couple colleagues were kind enough to give me a Romo transcript.

What was the primary topic of conversation? Romo was grilled on why he didn't talk last week. Is he changing? Is he mad at the media?

"No, I think I don't really get mad," Romo said with a laugh. "I don't ever get mad or any of that stuff just because it is what it is. I've said it a lot of times, if you're expecting all you guys to talk good about me all the time, then you're in for a bad feeling, I guess, a lot.

"It's just, it's part of playing quarterback. It's part of being part of a franchise like this. It's part of being in this position ... is getting ridiculed, positive talk. There's always going to be talk; some's good, some's bad. I've learned that, that's part of it. For me, I'd rather not always talk about it, more than just ... sometimes it's fun just to play the game, and go home at night and talk about what's fun at practice."

Really, all we ask of Romo is to be available for 15 minutes or so each week. With one exception, he's always done that during the regular season. And he's usually rather insightful, which is a bonus with big-time athletes.

But there's really not much to talk about at this point of the preseason ... so we talk about Romo not talking.

September can't get here soon enough.