Monday, August 25, 2008

DMN JJT Blog: Who do you like in a Dallas Cowboys track meet?

by Jean-Jacques Taylor

I'd heard this rumor for a couple of weeks, so I went directly to the two people involved to get to the bottom of it.

Now, I'm bringing it to you.

It turns out that for weeks T.O. and Ken Hamlin have been arguing passionately about whether the receivers or the defensive backs would have the fastest 4 x 100-meter dash team.

I spoke with both extensively today. Here are the key points from the conversation:


T.O., who insists he would not have finished last in the 100-meter dash at the Olympics, says he would put together a 4x100 team comprised of T.O., Isaiah Stanback, Miles Austin and Mike Jefferson.

Initially, T.O. said he would run the first and anchor leg, if needed. After some discussion, he settled on the anchor leg.

Evan Oglesby walked by as T.O. was talking about his team and said he could use just the safeties and put a team together that would beat the receivers. His team: Patrick Watkins, Courtney Brown, Roy Williams.

He never mentioned a fourth person because, frankly, I stopped him when he mentioned Roy. Yes, Roy is fast for a normal person. But for a professional athlete, he is not fast. In fact, Roy admits he has average speed.

Just so you know, I told Oglesby that a team comprised soley of safeties would not beat the receivers.

That's about the time, I moved down four or five lockers and spoke to Hamlin. I asked for his team and he threw out several names and said, "We have so many speed guys, you can pick out any combination you want and we'll win."

When pressed, Hamlin opted for a team of Adam Jones, Terence Newman, Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins.

Frankly, I think I've got to take the DBs.

A dollar amount was tossed out, though I'm not at liberty to say how much. And several players said as soon as the season is over, they want to head out to the track and settle this issue. Perhaps, we can make it a pay per view event.

By the way, several match races were proposed, which could be used as preliminary events.

T.O. said Stanback would take Adam Jones in the 100. All the DBs pooh-poohed the idea.

"He'd have to cut his hair off to have a chance," Hamlin said.

Then Jones challenged T.O. to a race.

"I run 10.4 consistently," Jones said. "What do you run?"

"I don't know," T.O. said. "but I've beaten track guys before."

Let me wrap this up.

Who do you guys like in the 4 x 100-meter relay? The receivers or the defensive backs?