Sunday, August 24, 2008

Player Watch: Simms thinks he will be cut

Posted by Mike Florio

With the Tampa Bay Buccaneers required to cut five players and with five quarterbacks on the roster, Chris Simms hopes to finally get his freedom.

He didn’t play in Saturday night’s preseason game after making appearances in the first two.

“I’m not uneasy about the situation at all,” Simms said, according to Pewter Report. “Whatever the powers that be . . . we shall see. I’m a poet.”

Though the Bucs had been trying to deal the former starter to a new team, he doubts that it will occur. “I don’t think I’m going to get traded,” Simms said. “I don’t envision that happening, but at the same time, I’ll get a shot somewhere.”

Said coach Jon Gruden: “We won’t keep five [quarterbacks] and it will be hard to say goodbye to somebody. We tried our best and we’ll let you know what happens.”

The other four signal-callers on the roster are Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Luke McCown, and rookie Josh Johnson.