Friday, January 30, 2009

Diner Morning News

By Michael Lombardi

QUOTE: “If pa’s eyes were windows into a world so deadly and true, You couldn’t stop me from looking but you kept me from crawlin’ through, And if it’s a funny old world, mama, where a little boy’s wishes come true, Well I got a few in my pocket and a special one just for you.” ~ “THE WISH,” FROM BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN FOR HIS MOTHER

FROM TODD ARCHER OF THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS… Nowadays, Roger Staubach’s mind is filled more with his business ventures and the 2011 Super Bowl in Arlington, but he will always be a Cowboy. Staubach, a Hall of Fame quarterback, is still pained by the 44-6 pasting Philadelphia put on the Cowboys to end the 2008 season. “I was unbelievably disappointed watching that Eagles game,” he said Thursday from Tampa, where he is taking in the sights and sounds as the chairman of the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee. “I’ve never been so upset, because it just wasn’t going to happen. It just seemed like they almost gave up in the second half.” … “I feel there’s a lot of stuff that goes on in the locker room that should stay in the locker room,” Staubach said. “It’s a shame, because I think the distractions really have hurt the team.”

I just do not get this team. The past month, the Cowboys have talked about commitment and about becoming dedicated, and then we hear that T.O. will have a reality show, with the owner making a guest appearance. Does anyone have a clue? How can this keep happening? I know football is part of the entertainment business, but when you lose sight of the essence of the business, you lose your business. The Cowboys are paid to entertain on the field, not off the field. They have lost their focus on what matters most. It’s one thing to have a player who acts bizarrely and craves attention, but to have others follow him down the road — and encourage him — is wrong.

Football requires attention to detail, and it requires everyone to put away his personal goals for the team. The Cowboys have become poster children for what not to do when building a team. I just do not get it, and I have no hope for them turning this around.