Tuesday, January 20, 2009

DMN Blog: Michael Irvin asks; Troy Aikman answers on radio show

by Barry Horn

Michael Irvin had Troy Aikman on his ESPN radio show today at a North Dallas restaurant. My favorite moment came when Irvin co-host Kevin Kiley mentioned that Aikman and Joe Buck were recently named America's second best NFL broadcast team by some publication. It had Al Michaels and John Madden No. 1. "Oh please," said Aikman-fan Irvin said, almost under his breath.

Now on to Cowboys talk:

Aikman on Dallas Morning News sources dogging Tomy Romo's practice habits:
"I know this: There was never a source that said Michael Irvin doesn't practice hard. There was never a source that said Jay Novacek doesn't work hard. And so somewhere in there somebody doesn't think that (Romo) is doing what it is he is supposed to be doing, which I find hard to believe only because I've had the opportunity on a number of opportunities to visit with him. I've talked to him before a number of games in production meetings. He is a real historian when it comes to the game. It's important to him. He wants to be good. And I think that he's got skills that are very unique..."

More on Romo:
"I think maybe things happened so quickly for Tony in terms of obscurity to all of a sudden national spotlight that he hasn't fully grasped what being the Cowboys quarterback is all about. And you don't go to Cabo the week before a playoff game. You just don't do it...To say 'I don't worry about perception,' you better worry about perception because it is a big part of making it through some very difficult times...I just thought you never wanted to give...anyone reason to think you didn't play well other than you just didn't play well."

Aikman on Cowboys chemistry: "I think the biggest concern, which has been well discussed, is the chemistry of the team. I don't want to speak for you, but I know that the teams I have been a part of that have won championships by and large have been talented teams. You can't do it without some talented players. But you also have to have some chemistry...and I know there are some guys who were members of those teams I was talking about who will tell you chemistry is not important....I tend to think (these Cowboys are) a team that does not enjoy playing football together."I

Irvin said he "went through the roof" when he heard Romo downplay the importance of the season-ending loss to the Eagles. Said Aikman: "I don;t know after a game like that when you are trying to win and get into the playoffs...I don't know that at that moment you want anybody putting life into perspective for you."

And finally, Aikman:
"At the end of the day it doesn't matter what your style or what your approach is as long as you win...But when you lose everything is open to scrutiny."