Wednesday, June 10, 2009

DMN Blog: Tashard Choice: 'This year is to let them know I'm for real'

By Tim MacMahon/Blogger

It took a couple of toe injuries for fourth-rounder Tashard Choice to get a chance as a rookie. He took advantage of it by becoming a bright spot during a gloomy December, proving himself as a legitimate NFL back by racking up 488 total yards in four games.

"I think I established who I am and what I can do," Choice said yesterday. "This year is to let them know that I'm for real."

Marion Barber and Felix Jones are healthy again, but co-head coaches Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips have made it clear that they believe there's room in the RB rotation for Choice.

The Cowboys will count of Barber to be their closer, punishing defenses in the fourth quarter when they're protecting leads. Jones is the big-play threat. How Choice fits in the mix isn't clear right now.

"I don't know exactly how it's gonna go," Choice said, "but if they give me a chance to get in there, I'm going to be ready to roll."

Jones and Barber, who shared time with first-round picks in college, are used to being part of a running back committee. Choice was a workhorse at Georgia Tech, but he believes he can thrive as a part-time player, too.

Choice points to his performance in the Cowboys' win over the Giants. Barber started that game despite his sore toe but struggled mightily (2 yards on eight carries).
Choice racked up 143 yards on 13 touches (nine carries, four catches), including a back-breaking 38-yard TD run.

"I was fresh," Choice said, "and I was ready to go."
He expects that to be the case all season long.