Thursday, July 26, 2007

RECAP: Wade Phillips Press Conference - 07/26/07

Recap by InmanRoshi from a sports forum:

Greg?
We took MRI’s on Greg and showed no problem. He had a little bursitis, but we’re going to bring him along slowly.

How much is James Martin missing out?
If it’s a long term thing, he’s missing quite a bit. Short term he can catch up. He has an opportunity to get more reps with Colombo out, but we should get him back here soon.

Julius
He’s got some explosion, you can tell that. He’s in good shape. A little lighter than I think he’s been. He feels good at 208, and he’s running fast. He’s catching the ball out of the backfield well.

Experience with players in a contract year.
I think a guy with pride will play hard every year. I’m not really sure being in a contract year has anything to do with it. Players are basically playing for their contract every year.

Are you a RB buy committee guy?
Whatever we have. Used to be you just had 1 RB, but now teams utilize two good ones. That’s what I’ve walked into here, and we’ll continue to do it.

What do you talk to Jason about regarding the offense?
Game strategy and what we want to get accomplished. Not necessarily this play or that play. Utlizing our personnel. When I was in Denver I told Jim Fassel to get get Sharpe the football more. Same thing with Eric Moulds at Buffalo. Those players hadn’t been used as much before. I help because I know defenses. I know what a defense will try to do against our offense.

Did you have a conversation about getting the ball to TO more?
We have several on offense. TO, Glenn and Witten.

Move him around more?
Versaltility helps to get a matchup you want. Sometimes you want a bigger WR on a smaller DB. He hasn’t played much in the slot, I think he would be hard to cover there. Playing against him we were always glad he didn’t play the slot. Same thing with Witten. We’ll split him out to get him out on the strong safety. That’s my input on offense.

Were you excited to see Leonard Davis in pads?
The OL was more excited than anyone. They were excited to get the pads on and push people around a little bit. All offseason they’ve been in shorts and haven’t got to hit anyone. We’ll have to look at the tape to see what they did.

McQuinstan?
We’ve only had one practice. Its hard to tell. I thought timing wise on offense we were all off a little bit. He’s worked hard and in good shape.

Leonard Davis?
The reason we got him in the first place is he can play both tackles or either guard. RG is probably he’s strongest position, so that’s where we have him. But if an injury or something comes up, we can move him to tackle. We don’t want to move him right now because we think we’ll have both of our starters back soon.

Defense ahead of the offense?
Usually defense are ahead a little bit, because offense takes a little more timing. The team is still just getting used to wearing pads. They looked aggressive, and made plays. We were doing run emphasis this morning. Afternoon will be more passing. I want to get really strong on run game on offense and defense and look at the tape tonight and correct some things.

Father here?
You always draw upon your father whether your in the same profession or not. But having played and coached with him, it’s really special. If we make a mistake or something, he’ll let me know about it. He’s a good second guesser, like you guys.

OLB’s getting reps with Spencer and Ellis out?
Its an opportunity for them. You want your first guys to get the work, but someone else has to step up. These things will happen throughout the season. We got to find people who can step up and play.

Find common ground with TO?
We want to win. With all the players, not just TO. Our common bond is we’re on the Dallas Cowboys and we got lofty goals, and we got to work together to do that.

Better shape than last year?
I wasn’t here last year. Our whole team is in shape. No one was fined for being out of shape. I know one guy it was the first time in 5 years he wasn’t fined for coming into camp overweight.

Carpenter or Burnett work outside?
Not right now. We hope to get Ellis and Spencer back. We think those guys can help us inside right now. They could both probably help outside, but we want their coverage ability inside especially on our dime and nickel packages.

Brian Stewart.
I’ve worked with him two or three years, and he knows what I want. He’s very organized. He helps me relate to the coaches on defense. I don’t have to do it all, and I can lean on him. He can relate things to the other coaches and be an extension of me.

Have you had a connection with the team yet?
I came in feeling connected to the Cowboys. They’re my team. This is my football family. I still got to find out some things … I don’t know how much heart they have because I haven’t seen them under stress in a ball game. But its been positive both sides.

Brad Johnson.
It was a key acquisition, because he can play. He’s shown it and he has won as a QB. He doesn’t need a lot of practice, which is good because we want to get Tony a lot of work. But he can go in and play and not make mistakes. You need two QB’s. Not many teams make it through a season with just one .

Picked anything up watching Ware?
We had him in before the draft at SD to look at him. We knew about him and had a good feel for him. Everyone liked him. I thought he would be picked sooner. He’s ready to play and has a smile on his face all the time, but he comes hard every play. He’s not perfect, but he’s the type of guy you want. He works hard every play. He’s a really good pass rusher, but I think he can be better. He’s a natural pass rusher. Its rare to get a guy with a natural feel and feet and speed. Bruce Smith was like that, but he played a different position. Ware works hard and will get better.

Does he have a mean streak?
I don’t know about mean. He gets to the QB. The guys he hits probably feel he’s pretty mean.

What do the DL in your 3-4 do?
Depends on the call and who it is. The quicker guys will stunt more. The bigger guys won’t stunt as much. It’s a 1 gap defense and we’ll penetrate some.

How often do you put guys in pads?
These first couple of weeks I want them to get used to the pads. I don’t want to take the pads off until they mature some.

Scrimmages?
We have Denver coming in to practice with. We’ll practice twice with them. We’ll work two days in Dallas with them the week they come in.

What do you need to see from Spencer?
Things he’s shown all along. He’s been in the entire offseason program with us all the way to July. He didn’t have to do that, but he did. I was glad he did. Merriman didn’t do it, but he turned out alright. He’ll fit in because he’s had a lot of work.

Are you working on fundamentals or putting in new things?
We’re working on things we already went over in the offseason, but now we’re working on them in pads. We had good recall.

How many WR’s do you see using in games?
I don’t know yet. It depends on the palyers. If my 5th WR is better than my extra DB, I’ll keep him.

How many starting positions are open?
All of them or none of them. Depending on how they play.

Spears?
I think he has ability and I expect him to do well. He came in shape. We didn’t have to fine anyone because of weight. But a lot of guys are in good shape, but we got to get in football shape. They’ll get tired, but you got to work them through this period.

How long does it take to get in football shape?
A couple of weeks. Depends on their physical shape. Timing and things like that come quicker, but playing a full game with pads in 60 snaps it takes 6 weeks .. whatever we have until the first week.

Working dome vs. working outside.
Working outside in Texas, we wouldn’t have the zip in practices we have. The teaching would be slower. I like that we get used to the pads first and then get used to the heat, rather than both at the same time.

With the resources invested in the defense, do you feel pressure to take it to a higher level?
Sure. That’s why I’m here. I’m known as a defensive coach. That’s my strength. But if you look at the stats, the offensive teams I’ve had have been pretty good. Every team I’ve been a head coach of has had a Top 10 offense except 1, and they finished 11. I don’t want to be known as only a defensive coach.

Stanback?
Having been a QB he understands schemes and the passing game. When you call a play, he knows what he should do and what everyone else should do. So he should pick things up quicker than most. We’re more worried about the shin splints than we are with his foot. He was running pretty fast today. I’ll check with the drs but I don’t think it will be very long.

Do you think your coaching will elevate some players play?
That’s what coaching is. Get players to play better. If they’ve played a long time, you try to get them to stay the same level. But that’s why I coach … I want to get kids to play better.

You said you want to be known as a great HC ,and not just a DC. Do you think coaches think about their legacy and don’t admit it?
I was just asked a question and said what I believe.

One of your players said this should be the best defense in the league.
If he did, he shouldn’t have.