Friday, July 27, 2007

T.O. 'feeling good, looking good' at camp

Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO - Guess what Terrell Owens is up to now.

After all his antics over the past few years, it’s understandable to be braced for anything. That’s why the reality might be a surprise: T.O. is healthy, happy and ready for a calm second season with the Dallas Cowboys.

“I hope so,” he said. “I’m feeling good, looking good — so I’ve got to play good.”
Last season was a weird one, even by his standards.

It can’t be called a disappointment because Owens led the NFL in touchdown catches and Dallas made the playoffs after missing out for two years. However, Owens constantly was in the news for all the wrong reasons: a preseason hamstring injury, an accidental overdose on painkillers, squabbles with his position coach, a testy relationship with head coach Bill Parcells, the most dropped passes in the league ... and more.

“I think there was a lack of concentration on my part and I can’t fault anybody but myself,” Owens said, referring to the drops and the overall season. “I can’t really put my finger on it. I just know it wasn’t there.”

Fitness may be the one area where Owens’ reputation is golden. Still, he stepped things up this summer, spending more time with his trainer, lifting weights and watching his diet as usual.

“What do I look like? I look good,” said Owens, his long-sleeve, full-leg tights showing off a 33-year-old body that’s as sleek and muscular as ever.

Owens caught 85 passes for 1,180 yards last season, numbers that picked up drastically when Romo replaced Drew Bledsoe.

Should Owens come close to those totals again, he’ll easily move into the top 10 on the NFL career list in both categories. He’s already fourth on the career TDs list, with 14 last season putting him at 114. He’s years away from Jerry Rice’s record (197) but within reach of No. 2 Cris Carter (130), although Indianapolis’ Marvin Harrison (122) is closing in, too.

Further probing is useless. With a smile, Owens cites “a memory lapse” when it comes to specifics about the dramas of 2006.

“Anything with reference to last year is a non-issue,” he said. “We are trying to really focus on this year. ... We are going to make this a happy season.”

In that case, he’s off to a good start.