Thursday, March 20, 2008

DMN Blog: Chad says he can bring Cowboys that ring

by Albert Breer

Chad Johnson could've climbed on the coffee table on the middle of the Best Damn Sports Show Period set tonight and yelled at the top of his lungs "Trade me to to Dallas!!!"

And he really wouldn't have been much more clear than he was in batting his eyes in the direction of Valley Ranch.

"If I end up in Dallas, I would just look at which finger I'm gonna put it on," Johnson declared. "That's it. Ain't no ifs, ands or buts about it."

Several Cowboys Blog Crazies tipped me off to Ocho Cinco's performance on BDSSP tonight, and because we get it a little later here in DFW, I had to wait to watch it. "It" was worth every last second. Classic.

I'll pass along this link, but that only includes part of the interview. What should really get people around here going isn't included in that clip. It's the statement above, and how he said that he and Terrell Owens would co-exist on the same team.

"It's gonna work," Johnson said. "T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) and Chad Johnson are no different than '81' and '85' because T.J. is a No. 1 receiver. We just happen to be two No. 1 receivers on the same team at the same time. It's no different."

Ocho Cinco even went as far as to stick up for T.O. when the FSN people rolled the Original 81's emotional outburst after the Cowboys' playoff loss.

"You know what's funny? Y'all don't have my clip," he said. "I'm crying about losing. We played Jacksonville, Sunday night, we're 4-0. I'm mad because we're 4-1. I was mad. I was the same way."

And as for the atmosphere if '81' and '85' were paired, Johnson didn't mince words. Nor did he seem to be off the mark.

"That'd be a circus," he said.

Of course, all the Cowboys stuff was just a piece of the fun with this sitdown.

Another clip they played was of Johnson's prodding Brett Favre to toss one to him in pregame. What did '85' say to the Packer QB?

"Just throw me the ball," he said. "I just want you to know what it's like to throw to greatness. That's what I told him. It's funny, some people call me arrogant. I just think I'm extraordinary. "

On a more serious note, Johnson did address the situation from the 2005 playoff game against Pittsburgh, and alleged punch he threw at a coach at halftime.

"That's not what happened," he insisted. "There was an incident. Man, I was pissed off. I was mad. I'm in the biggest game of my career, I got one catch, y'all are not using me. I'm pissed off. I'm emotional. You know how I am about the game.

"So I'm in there going off. And I have an IV in my arm, and I get up screaming, I'm mad. Carson's hurt, he's on the table, knee's gone. I'm not getting ball, and I'm going off, I'm screaming. And (receivers coach) Hugh Jackson restrains me. He put me in a headlock. So I couldn't move. Coach (Marvin) Lewis comes over, talks to me, restrains me also. That's where it ended.

"Yeah, something happened, I'm not going to sit here and lie. But that was it. Now, (former Bengal) Shaun (Smith) comes back with me throwing the punch. Man, if threw the punch, I wouldn't have no problem if I wanted to get out of Cincinnati, because I wouldn't be there right now. I'll truth, no one's bigger than no organization. Not even Chad Johnson, trust me."

Even in trying to clear "the punch" up, he vowed not to worry about what other people thought about that, or any other incident in his past.

Which is to say, Johnson claims he's stopped caring what other people think.

"Some people may not like Chad Johnson," he said. "Some people maybe do. But it really doesn't matter. When I touch that field, I'm just like insurance, you can count on me."