Friday, April 18, 2008

DMN Blog: Rosenhaus checks in

by Albert Breer

Superagent Drew Rosenhaus was on ESPN this afternoon and discussed a couple topics of ancillary Cowboy interest, but not the burning issue of Marion Barber's contract.

The first thing he touched on was Jeremy Shockey's situation, which affects Dallas from a competitive standpoint, in that he has been a Pro Bowler and epic partyman in New York. Rumors persist that Shockey's on the block and, perhaps, on his way to New Orleans.

"That's going to be between Jeremy and the New York Giants," Rosenhaus said. "One thing I've learned the hard way, and I can tell you with all sincerity, is that I prefer to do my business with the teams, off-camera. I appreciate you guys inviting me on, but in terms of Jeremy's feelings towards the Giants, that's something we've communicated to the Giants. The ball's gonna be in their court."

Rosenhaus then vouched for the health of Shockey, who's coming off a broken ankle. The agent proclaimed him "ready to play." And then, it was on to the stranger-by-the-day situation surrounding Chad Johnson.

Rosenhaus was immediately asked where the problem originally arose in this fight.

ยป Continue reading: Rosenhaus checks in

The bottom line is the reason you haven't heard about that particular topic is that it is something Chad has talked to the team about and that's something I have talked to the team about," Rosenhaus said. "I visited Marvin Lewis, I've talked to the owner, Mike Brown. I've talked to Troy Blackburn, the vice president of the team. Believe me when I tell you that myself, Chad has spoken to all of his coaches on a regular basis.

"The Bengals are well aware of why Chad is unhappy, it's just not my place to make that public."

And so why has Ocho Cinco gone public?

"Initially, this was behind the scenes and there was very little movement ... No, there was no movement by the Bengals at all," Rosenhaus said. "So that's why Chad has been frustrated, and it's become public. I know it was not Chad's original intent, but because the Bengals have been inflexible ..."

Drew was then interrupted by Trey Wingo, who asked how the club had been inflexible.

"Their stance," Rosenhaus said. "They've said very clearly they're not interested in trading Chad. So that's why it's become public. But in terms of my relationship with the Bengals, I continue to talk with them, and work with them behind the scenes.

"Chad is an outstanding person," the agent continued. "Anyone who knows Chad realizes he's a high-character individual, and just an excellent person. The bottom line is here that the Bengals have a position I disagree with, but I respect. And Chad has a position I support. As Chad's agent, I am his advocate and I'm working very hard with the team to try and find a solution."

And then, and credit Wingo for this, Rosenhaus was asked for a divergent approach he's taken in this situation and the Terrell Owens affair a couple years back in Philly.

"The Eagles' situation was far different," he responded. "At that point and time, things were really out there. Right now, the course that I've decided to take with the Bengals is to work with them on a private basis. I met with them as recently as the owner's meetings, I've talked to the team within the last 24 hours.

"So I'm trying very hard to make it happen for Chad, and also do it respectfully and professionally in terms of dealing with the Bengals."

The Bengals have really dug their heels in on this one. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some calls are placed from Valley Ranch to The 'Nati on draft day, even if it is an exercise in futility.